The forthcoming A G M to be addressed by the Archdeacon of Northumberland, Leslie S Hunter
Dr Alexander Hetherwick, formerly of Blantyre, Nyasaland, and recently deceased
The start of the series on University Chapels and lamenting the lack of one in Edinburgh
The success of the recent campaign to recruit new members
Readings at the celebration of Holy Communion
St Columba’s Day, with a Collect
Reference: Volume 11 1938-39, p72
King’s College Chapel, Interior - Facing page 12
Nagmaal (Lord’s Supper) - Facing page 30
Specimen Page - Facing page 61
Specimen Page - Facing page 64
Reference: Volume 11 1938-39
W W D Gardiner marks the re-opening, after restoration (Henry F Kerr, architect), of the Church and gives an account of its 17th century beginnings and original plan and ordering, with notice of later damage, division and rebuilding and with reference also to the signing of the National Covenant of which the tercentenary had recently been celebrated. Illustrated by 3 drawings – restored interior, exterior (wrongly labelled), and exterior in 1637.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p05
Denzil G M Patrick evaluates the conference, as “a stage in a process” indicating both its “positive significance” and “points where criticism is necessary” (among these, the arrangements for worship, and a perceived Orthodox and Anglican, and English language, dominance).
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p12
Ninian Hill, after referring to biblical foundations, considers “godly fear and awe” and its expression in deportment in church.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p23
William McMillan examines in detail the evidence relating to services of worship during the period 1661-90, dealing mainly with the practice of “outed” ministers and their congregations, and referring to the influence of the Westminster Directory, to psalmody, prayers, posture, “prefacing”, “lecturing”, sermons, Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, and burial customs.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p30
David A. Hodges draws attention to the 1937 General Assembly’s commendation of a Youth Committee Memorandum on the “League of Young Worshippers and the Attendance of Children at Church” and examines several different avenues of approach to the problem, affecting practice in both Sunday School and Church Service. A responsive “Opening Service of a School” is appended.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p43
Duncan S. MacGillivray describes a nativity play presented the previous Christmas in the Cathedral, after four years in Govan Old Parish Church, for which it had been devised. In his judgement it had “the merit….of containing no spoken word (save) the intermittent reading of the Gospel record, and carols sung by a screened choir”. An indication of its effect on participants and audiences is added. 2 illustrations.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p54
William T Cairns uses his recent acquisition of a copy (1754) of Offices of Devotion by an English Puritan Divine, James Foster, to describe the volume, rather more than half the pages of which are in manuscript, apparently written by William Cameron and containing carefully wrought prayers of which he was the author. He goes on to give details of Cameron’s life as a student of James Beattie in Aberdeen, as the most active member of the Committee on Paraphrases, and as Minister of Kirknewton.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p60
William George Sym, M.D., Surgeon, Elder in St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh, and member of Council of the Society
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p71
Millar Patrick contributes notices of
Church Music in History and Practice: Studies in the Praise of God by Winfred Douglas
Hymnody Past and Present by C S Phillips
William McMillan contributes notices of
The Anaphora or Great Eucharistic Prayer. An Eirenical Study in Liturgical History by Walter Howard Frere
The Worshipping Community by H C L Heywood
What mean ye by this service? by S C Carpenter
The Parish Communion. A Book of Essays edited by A G Hebert
The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described by Adrian Fortescue (sixth, revised, edition)
The Mystery of Sacrifice. A Meditation on the Liturgy by Evelyn Underhill
The Highway of Praise: An Introduction to Christian Hymnody by J R Fleming
Andrew L. Drummond notices
Adventures in Light and Colour: An Introduction to the Stained Glass Craft by Charles
There is an unsigned notice of
Prayers for Everyday by J G Grant Fleming
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p72
The Church presence at the Empire Exhibition, and the stained glass there
Embroidered Saltires on a ministerial scarf
The institution of The Scoto-Russian Fellowship of St Andrew
The forthcoming A G M of the Society to be addressed by Dr Nicholas Zernov
The publication of What is a living Church? by J S Whale, incorporating most of his address to the previous A G M
Halving of subscriptions to generate more widespread support
A list of the articles published in the first nine issues of the Annual.
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38, p84
Greyfriars Church (Interior) - Page 6
Greyfriars Church - from the North-West - Page 8
Greyfriars Church in 1637 - Page 8
The Stable that was a PalaceFacing - Page 56
Mary and Elizabeth exchange Greetings - Page 57
Reference: Volume 10 1937-38
William A Knowles traces the beginnings of his theme to the early Christians’ sense of Christ in their midst and in the eucharist. He identifies the four great families of liturgies, all distinguished by the same belief in the presence of Christ. In some of these, worship is addressed directly to Christ. Knowles would see the prayers of the Church ideally “presented to God the Father in the Name of the Eternal Son”. The Roman tradition diverges from our own at certain points, but not in the supreme honour given to Christ. In mediaeval times, the “mystery” of the Mass obscured rather than revealed Christ – a situation the Reformers set out to remedy. The “work” of Christ was rediscovered, only to be obscured again in the worship of 18th century Scotland. The rise of hymnody in the 19th century, the study of liturgies, the Church Service Society and a greater frequency of Holy Communion have done much to reinstate Christ at the heart of the Scottish Church’s life and worship.
Reference: Volume 09 1936-37, p3
Henry F. Kerr draws attention to Orkney’s Norse heritage in the circular church at Orphir and the two-chambered barrel-vaulted church at Egilsay. The Cathedral of St Olaf at Kirkwall was erected at the behest of Earl Rognvald to commemorate his saintly kinsman, Earl Magnus, who was murdered at Egilsay. The church is described in considerable detail, comparisons being made with other Scottish churches in respect of dimensions. The size of St Magnus Cathedral is arresting. Durham and Dunfermline have been regarded as prototypes. It was, of course, an outpost of the Kingdom of Norway. The history of its building - and of the Earl Rognvald who saw to its construction – is interestingly recounted, and its distinctive features are described. The author concludes with an expression of regret at intended “improvements” at the Reformation and
in more recent times, principally involving the removal of much interior woodwork of note.
Reference: Volume 09 1936-37, p17